Happy New Year!
We are already back, and this time with a post on national celebrations for libraries.
Some time ago we were asking you if you a had a library day, library week or similar celebration in your countries. We got some answers that we have decided to post here today. You can see the unedited original answers here.
We would like to have more answers from more countries so be sure to leave yours in the comments and we will edit this post with your information. Thank you all!
The next celebration seems to be the one our British and Finnish colleagues will be holding next 8 February.
– Croatia: 11 November.
– Poland: 8 May we celebrate Librarian Day in Poland. The day starts Week of Libraries, which lasts until 15 May.
– Spain: In Spain we celebrate Libraries Day on 24th October every year. See here our last celebration: http://napleblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/24/spanish-library-day/
– Greece: Unfortunately we don’t have a library day in Greece so far, we are considering it though…
– Finland: In Finland we celebrate ladies called Laina on 8th February. Laina is a womans name but the word also means “a loan”. Usually libraries organise some happenings on that day, overdue fees can be forgiven etc.
– Slovenia: In Slovenia we celebrate 20 November as Public Libraries’ Day. See announcement video and speeches at http://www.zbds-zveza.si/?q=node5/dan_splosnih_knjiznic2013
– Belgium: In Belgium it’s Week of Libraries, mostly half October. Every year on a different theme.
– Ireland: The Library Association of Ireland celebrates Library Ireland Week each year in November. This year it was 11th-15th November and the theme was ‘Think Outside the Book’. You can read about it and watch this year’s video at https://libraryassociation.ie/events/library-ireland-week
– UK: National Libraries Day in the UK takes place on 8th February 2014. Last year we used it to collect impact statements from our visitrs about their relationship with their public library and this launched our February Feedback month where we concentrated on the customer experience and used the quotes throughout the year in our publicity and social media
– Portugal: Unfortunately we don’t have a library day in Portugal so far!